What is the best matcha brand? Our expert found Encha matcha to be the best matcha brand for 2023, find out why we chose this matcha brand and who else tops the list...
A common question for matcha green tea lovers is what is the best matcha brand. Of course, when you are having your matcha moment in the day, you want to be sure that what you are enjoying is the very best - it adds something a little special when you know you have the best of the best in your cup.
Matcha hit the market and was quickly a trending drink, matcha bubble tea, matcha ice cream, and matcha tea. The uptake was so quick because, as well as being delicious and giving you an ‘ahhh’ relaxing moment; it has plenty of health benefits.
The delightfully creamy greenness of matcha tea powder is the face of proven benefits. Matcha has a huge amount of amino acid content and more chlorophyll than your average green tea. And, since the whole leaf is used (minus the stems and veins), each cup has the nutrients from the entire match tea leaf. But what are the benefits, and which matcha tea powder should you buy?
How do you choose the best matcha tea brands?
You can spot the best matcha tea powders by following a few simple things:
The shade of green matters; anything light brown or yellow is something you should never buy. The first leaf harvest will be a deep green, and the following harvests will be a lighter green. Look for a rich green color.
It can be hard to tell from images online, but you can still see a difference in the grind of the matcha tea powder. You are looking for an ultra-fine ground powder. The higher the quality, the smaller the ground and the easier it blends with the water.
Matcha tea has a distinctive scent; it is rich, grassy, and refreshing. You may also discover notes of sea aroma or vegetables. The fresh scent is an indicator of high quality.
With so many brands on the market, look for markers of quality and testing. Organic certification or third-party testing, so you know the cultivation and creation is the best.
The origin of the match tea powder matters greatly regarding quality. Japanese matcha is the highest quality, and it comes from a time-honored tradition. Matcha powder from the Uji region in Japan is highly regarded as the "best matcha".
Shipping & Packaging
We always like to evaluate the brands' accessibility and shipping options. How easy is it to get the matcha powder, and when the matcha arrives, how quickly does it come and what does the packaging look like?
It's important to evaluate a matcha brand on their return policies. Do they allow free returns? What if I don't like the particular matcha powder? What is their customer service like if I have an issue?
With those things in mind, here are three matcha tea powders that meet all of the criteria for the best of the best.
Encha Matcha Tea Powder
Encha matcha tea powder bridges the gap between the highest quality and affordability. Instantly, this matcha tea powder stands out from the crowd because it comes from the first harvest, giving it the richest color and taste.
Encha matcha tea powder is extra special because it is ceremonial grade, which means nothing comes higher in terms of taste, color, smell, benefits or flavor.
This fragrant and creamy matcha tea powder comes from two farms that are nestled in the hills of Uji, Japan, and their matcha is 100% USDA organic. You can describe the profile of this matcha tea powder with two words: umami and grassy. With an Amazon rating of 4.5 from over 7,500 reviews - it is highly rated and enjoyed. Encha has some of the best customer service in the matcha industry, and they really seem to care about their customers and providing them with the best product.
- first-harvest ceremonial-grade (high quality),
- vibrant in color
- Organic matcha powder
- Only offers pouch packaging, no tin options
- not many variation or matcha options
Tenzo Matcha Tea Powder
Tenzo Matcha powder is all about the zing and the energy. Tenzo is both ceremonial and organic, with a vibrant green color. The tea comes from Kagoshima in Japan, grown in rich volcanic soil for over 400 years.
Tenzo offers a range of matcha tea options, great for those who want to explore a little. Their standard matcha tea powder is ceremonial grade, which means it is very smooth and clean, with earthy undertones and a light grassy flavor. Amazon reviewers like Tenzo tea to ‘sipping pure zen.’ Tenzo does a wonderful job of making high-quality matcha and also offering new matcha variants such as single-serve, sweetened matcha, and pumpkin spice.
- Smoother than other brands
- offers international shipping
- High quality
- Sweetened options
- No international returns
- short return window
- Out of stock often on their website
Jade Leaf Matcha Tea Powder
Jade Leaf is the number one selling Organic Farm-Direct Japanese match in the United States. Jade Leaf matcha tea powder comes from both Uji and Kagoshima, Japan, and blends them together to create a unique flavor profile.
Kizuna Tea Collective is where Jade Leaf tea is produced. They have been cultivating matcha tea since 1858 in Japan and opened their headquarters in the US in 2014. With a unique flavor profile, you get the full-bodied taste of the Uji region and the light freshness from Kagoshima.
- high-quality control
- Smooth and creamy
- From Uji region
- More bitter than Encha and Tenzo
- Sometimes needs sifting before use
What are the benefits of matcha tea powder?
Many of the compounds in matcha tea have been highly researched for their anti-cancer properties, and some studies looked specifically into gastric cancer. In 1,400 individuals, the consumption of green tea lowered their risk of stomach cancer.
Studies show that people who use green tea topically have better wound healing and less inflammation and rawness in conditions like actinic keratosis and psoriasis. You can make a cream with your regular matcha green tea powder and water or face oil and apply it.
Heart health is something we should all be aware of, and the high levels of EGCG in matcha tea powder have a positive impact on metabolic and cardiovascular health. This means matcha tea helps prevent plaque buildup and thickening of the heart tissue.
Those are just a few of the many benefits, but to really get the best from your matcha, you need to have the highest-quality matcha tea powder. Since the popularity of matcha has increased, so has the range of lower-quality options.
The three best matcha tea powder brands are Encha, Tenzo, and Jade Leaf. So, let’s take a look at what makes them great and why they should be your next matcha tea purchase.
Where should you buy matcha tea powder from?
There are only a few places you should buy your tea power from. One is directly from the brand, typically from the brand website. The other is from a reputable tea seller or specialist tea shop.
You can also find the brands mentioned above on Amazon.
- Choosing the Best Matcha Brands:
- When selecting matcha tea powder, consider color, grind, aroma, certification, and origin factors.
- Look for a rich green color, indicating high quality.
- Choose an ultra-fine ground powder, as finer-quality powders blend better with water.
- A fresh and distinctive scent is an indicator of high-quality matcha.
- Look for markers of quality, like organic certification or third-party testing.
- Japanese matcha is generally considered the highest quality, especially from Uji.
- Recommended Matcha Tea Powder Brands:
- Encha Matcha Tea Powder: Known for its rich color and taste, ceremonial grade, and organic certification.
- Tenzo Matcha Tea Powder: Offers vibrant green ceremonial grade matcha from Kagoshima, Japan, with earthy undertones.
- Jade Leaf Matcha Tea Powder: Blends matcha from Uji and Kagoshima, creating a unique flavor profile, and is produced by Kizuna Tea Collective.
- Benefits of Matcha Tea Powder:
- Matcha contains compounds studied for their potential anti-cancer properties.
- Topical application of green tea, including matcha, can aid in wound healing and reduce inflammation in skin conditions.
- Matcha's high EGCG levels support heart health by preventing plaque buildup and thickening of heart tissue.
- Where to Buy Matcha Tea Powder:
- Purchase matcha tea powder from reputable sources, such as the brand's website, a reputable tea seller, or a specialist tea shop.
- Be cautious when buying matcha online and check reviews to ensure product quality.
Have you tried any of these matcha tea powders? Or do you have a recommendation for another brand that should make the best list?
Best Matcha Brands
- Encha Ceremonial Grade Matcha
- Hand-picked from organic farm in Uji, Japan
- First Harvest Matcha - Vibrant green color
- Highest quality matcha, never bitter
- Our Rating: 4.9 of 5 stars
- Tenzo Organic Ceremonial Matcha Green Tea Powder
- Authentic Japanese Matcha
- Rich in antioxidants, helps boost metabolism
- Ceremonial Grade - Vibrant Green Color
- Pique Matcha - Organic Japanese Matcha Green Tea Powder
- Harvested from a family-owned organic tea farm in Japan
- Increases energy and focus
- Highest-quality, shade grown ceremonial-grade
- Our Rating: 4.8 of 5 stars
- Kenko Matcha Organic Ceremonial Matcha
- Gold Class Ceremonial Grade Matcha
- Country of Origin: Japan
- First Harvest Matcha - Vibrant Green in Color
- Our Rating: 4.8 of 5 stars