Matcha is a finely ground powder made from matcha green tea leaves known as Camelia Sinesis. Matcha has been produced and consumed in China and Japan for centuries and is quickly becoming a popular drink and supplement around the world. At Matcha Connection we review some of the most popular matcha brands available online and on Amazon, to help you choose the best matcha powders and the best matchas for your budget. We prefer to review each brands' highest grade matcha powder (ceremonial) and focus on rating each matcha green tea based on color, taste, aroma, grind, and more.
MatchaBar Ceremonial Grade Matcha Powder
MatchaBar matcha powder comes from high-quality Japanese green tea leaves grown and family-farmed in Kagoshima, Japan, one of the top regions in the world for growing green tea. MatchaBar offers its matcha powders in ceremonial grade, culinary grade, and a "reserve blend". The company has three different size options: 30g, 80g, and 200g with the largest two sizes coming in a resealable pouch and the 30g powder coming in a resealable pouch or traditional tin.
- Grown in one of the best matcha regions in the world
- Vegan and gluten free
- Nice, vibrant green color
- Good sizing and packaging options
- Not the highest quality flavor
- Mild taste
- Not good value for money
MatchaBar matcha has a nice fresh taste with a little bit of sweetness but also some bitter hints. It was quite good in a matcha latte, however, it did not have the ideal flavor profile for the ceremonial style of drinking (Usucha). Although this matcha powder is better than some of the other ceremonial matcha powders we have reviewed, I personally don't think this is a premium ceremonial grade matcha. I was expecting a more complex, full-bodied matcha flavor, but instead MatchaBar was milder with slightly more bitterness which made it more suitable for a matcha latte than anything else.
Color and Grind
The color and grind was the most impressive part of MatchaBar's matcha powder for me. The color was a beautiful emerald green, and it was very evident that their powder is stone-ground which provides a much more fine, even grind.
MatchaBar claims to have one of only 15 tea masters in the world with a 10th level "tea master" certification, and I must say, in terms of color and grind, this is one of the smoothest ceremonial matcha powders we have reviewed so far.
The Bottom Line
After our testing and in-depth review, we can see why MatchaBar has become one of the most popular ceremonial matcha powders on Amazon. It has garnered over 3,000 five-star ratings and a reputation that keeps customers coming back. After thoroughly testing their ceremonial matcha powder in a matcha latte and ceremonial-style, we found their color and grind to be on par with other high-quality matcha brands, however, we were not as impressed by the overall flavor. Compared to other matcha powders at the same price point, MatchaBar falls short in terms of grassy, nutty, and sweet notes, the full-bodied flavor of premium matcha.
Overall, MatchaBar is a good option for the average matcha drinker, however, at Matcha Connection we would not recommend this matcha powder due to the fact that there are other premium matchas that have a much more complex flavor for the same or better price. MatchaBar ceremonial grade is a very suitable matcha powder for a matcha latte, however, we still recommend the following matchas as the highest rated green tea powders in taste, color, grind and aroma.
Best Matcha Powders
- Encha Ceremonial Grade Matcha
- Hand-picked from organic farm in Uji, Japan
- First Harvest Matcha - Vibrant green color
- Highest quality matcha, never bitter
- Our Rating: 4.9 of 5 stars
- Tenzo Organic Ceremonial Matcha Green Tea Powder
- Authentic Japanese Matcha
- Rich in antioxidants, helps boost metabolism
- Ceremonial Grade - Vibrant Green Color
- Pique Matcha - Organic Japanese Matcha Green Tea Powder
- Harvested from a family-owned organic tea farm in Japan
- Increases energy and focus
- Highest-quality, shade grown ceremonial-grade
- Our Rating: 4.8 of 5 stars
- Kenko Matcha Organic Ceremonial Matcha
- Gold Class Ceremonial Grade Matcha
- Country of Origin: Japan
- First Harvest Matcha - Vibrant Green in Color
- Our Rating: 4.8 of 5 stars