If you have tried matcha, you would know that it comes in a powder form that is most often consumed as a matcha tea. However, matcha's complex and sophisticated flavor pairs perfectly in many dessert items, along with its beautifully vibrant green color. Our friends at Tenzo matcha shared one of their favorite dessert recipes with us - the matcha cream puffs.
These delicate and delightful treats are perfect for any occasion; dessert, breakfast, baby shower, or other special occasion. We tried these wonderful matcha cream puffs at the matcha connection office, and they were perfectly light and airy, with a crisp golden-brown exterior, and a perfectly balances matcha cream filling. Do yourself a favor and get an order of Tenzo matcha to make these matcha cream puffs for your next get-together!
*Make sure to check out our full review of Tenzo Matcha*
Matcha Cream Puffs Recipe
- 1/2 cup oat milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup salted butter
- 1 tsp golden monk fruit sweetener
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup flour
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups organic heavy cream
- 1 tbsp Tenzo matcha powder
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla powder
- 1/4 cup powdered monk fruit sweetener
- Preheat the oven to 425F and line a baking tray with parchment paper or a a silicone mat.
- Combine 1/2 cup water, 1/2 cup oat milk (or whole milk), 1 tsp monk fruit sweetener, 1/4 tsp salt in a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat then remove from heat and stir in 1 cup flour all at once with a wooden spoon.
- Place back over medium heat, stirring constantly for about 2 minutes to slightly cook the flour until it comes together in a smooth ball.
- Take the pan off the heat and use an electric mixer to continue whisking for 1 minute to cool the dough slightly.
- Add eggs, 1 at a time- whisking completely before adding next egg, then beat about one more minute until dough is smooth and transfer dough to a zip lock bag and cut the tip off the bag.
- Pipe 24 puffs in about 1/2” tall circles. It took me 2 baking sheets. I wet my finger with cold water and smoothed the tops off before baking.
- Bake at 425˚F for 10 minutes, then reduce temp to 325˚F and bake 15-20ish minutes or until golden brown on top.
- Transfer to wire rack to cool completely before filling- I like to poke the puffs with a straw on the sides to allow steam to escape to help the puffs hold their form as they cool. For the filling, add cream to a bowl and whisk together with matcha tea powder until it forms a thick liquid, then add powdered monk fruit and vanilla powder and continue whisking until thick peaks form.
- Fill a pastry bag or large zip lock bag with filling and pipe filling into the sides of the puffs (where they were poked with the straw) until cream has filled the puff (there should be resistance in piping once it's full).
- Repeat until all puffs are filled and serve or store in the fridge/freezer in an airtight container.
Now enjoy these perfectly balanced matcha cream puffs with friend and family! Thanks again to Lori from Tenzo matcha for sharing this wonderful recipe with our team and she even made sure to share an exclusive discount code with us and our audience. Head over to Tenzo Tea and use the code CONNECTION15 for 15% off your next order!
Tenzo Matcha Cream Puffs Dessert Video
At Matcha Connection, we pride ourselves in always providing our audience with unbiased matcha knowledge and matcha reviews. We have personally tested Tenzo matcha tea and have even included it at the top of our list of the best matcha powders! Don't forget to use our exclusive matchaconnection code at checkout: CONNECTION15
Best Matcha Powders
- Encha Ceremonial Grade Matcha
- Hand-picked from organic farm in Uji, Japan
- First Harvest Matcha - Vibrant green color
- Highest quality matcha, never bitter
- Our Rating: 4.9 of 5 stars
- Tenzo Organic Ceremonial Matcha Green Tea Powder
- Authentic Japanese Matcha
- Rich in antioxidants, helps boost metabolism
- Ceremonial Grade - Vibrant Green Color
- Pique Matcha - Organic Japanese Matcha Green Tea Powder
- Harvested from a family-owned organic tea farm in Japan
- Increases energy and focus
- Highest-quality, shade grown ceremonial-grade
- Our Rating: 4.8 of 5 stars
- Kenko Matcha Organic Ceremonial Matcha
- Gold Class Ceremonial Grade Matcha
- Country of Origin: Japan
- First Harvest Matcha - Vibrant Green in Color
- Our Rating: 4.8 of 5 stars